Monday, May 29, 2006

pencil comps




I'm always sketching.... more than I realize. These comps were done with a black prisma color pencil .They were idea sketches for a series of oil paintings I am doing. I love prisma because , like markers, you really have to plan shapes carefully otherwise you will have a mess. The goal with these were to capture an old feeling.... possibly from the 40's. I always do this type of sketch before a larger painting but as is usually the case, once I put this much love into something I have a hard time reproducing it again. It's for that reason that I have hundreds of small sketches and only a few larger finishes. I did so many tight renderings at Disney when I was in Layout that I burned out on them... that was over 10 years ago! I guess I try to take a sketch as far as I can, give it as much detail and hope it can pass as a fisnish. I've been doing this for years and so far so good.
I really am lazy when it comes to rendering. I guess it's more important to get the idea across than play with a tight finish. You will constanly see me do loose color or black and white gestures for that reason.